Pierre-Philippe Cannac, of French Huguenot origin, had the Castle of Hauteville built as from 1760. In 1794, the Seigneury of Hauteville was passed to the banker Daniel Grand de la Chaise who took, following his marriage with Victoire Cannac, the name of Grand d’Hauteville.
Recently, the family Grand d’Hauteville donated to the Swiss Museum of the Games more than 120 games from the period between 1780 and 1840. It includes games of bingo, chess sets, decks of cards with their accessories, games bought in particular in Paris and in Germany on the games market in full expansion at the beginning of the 19th century, as well as home-made games and about hand-written notes of game rules.
This extraordinary homogeneous collection testifies the importance of games, among other leisure activities such as the theatre, music and reading, in the luxury of life in a Château at the time of Daniel and Victoire and of their daughter Aimée and her husband Eric Grand d’ Hauteville.